AFL, NRL, NFL, NBA, NHL, A-League, EPL, MLS

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What Most Schools Don't Teach

I keep talking about leadership, education, business improvement, simplifying processes and more.  I have however never related my own thinking to coding/programming.  Although I fist experienced programming with "Basic" in the 80's, followed by Pascal, C, and some weird language called Modula 2 at the university of Waikato, for me this was always just fun.  

Looking at this video, it made me think how true the comments made by these leaders of our time are.  At the end of the day it is about processes and breaking down problems.  Here are some of the comments from the video, but I highly recommend watching it, and if you have kids, getting them involved early.  It is like learning an instrument, and something you never forget.  It teaches you good basics, principles and being organised and structured in an approach.

"It's about humanity & helping people"

"It's about the process of breaking down problems"

"To get the best people we make the office as awesome as possible"

The comparison and overlaps with coding and sports, business and all around us are I believe very valid.  Enjoy!

This video starrs Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, will.i.am, Chris Bosh, Jack Dorsey, Tony Hsieh, Drew Houston, Gabe Newell, Ruchi Sanghvi, Elena Silenok, Vanessa Hurst, and Hadi Partovi. Directed by Lesley Chilcott.